Friday, March 7, 2008
Well the funeral and visitation was today. Grandma always said she didn't want to do the visitation the day before, she didn't want to take up 2 days of people's time, so from 9-10 was family viewing, then at 10 they closed the casket and had the public greeting from 10-11, then at 11 was the funeral. She was cremated after the service so we watched them load her into the hearse and then ate a lunch, sort of felt like things were unfinished without a burial. The kids were pretty good. Olivia thought Grandma looked pretty. She did look really good, better than I have seen her look in awhile. She wasted away to nothing though, she was so thin. Deacon peeked in the casket and kept making the loud annoucement that she was dead. He sort of lightened up the situation. For some reason once they closed the lid he thought baby Jesus was in the coffin and kept talking about why they moving baby Jesus? He's under the lid ect. He did pretty good during the service, just talked a little loud about the fire on the candles and crawled under the pew in front of us once. After the luncheon some of us went back to my grandpa and grandma's. Sort of weird without her there. We spent a few hours out there and now we are home. I am tired, ready for a relaxing night. I picked up American Gangster to watch. I have never been close to my grandpa at all, but I think I will probably stop by now and then to see how he's doing and maybe drop off some baked goods cause they were together almost 60 years, so he is defiantly pretty lonely right now. I saw some pictures of my grandma when she was much much younger, and everyone commented that she and I look so much alike when she was my age. I had never seen the pictures before and have to agree that I did see a lot of myself due to the facial features and shapes in her. Kind of cool, cause I had never noticed that before. As sad as it was, it was really a blessing. Grandpa said that he is glad it is over, he couldn't stand to watch her lay there and suffer like that anymore. I know life won't be normal every again, but he can get to a new normal state without being at the nursing home everyday now. He will probably spend more time at the dump (he works there and plays a lot of cards there) and head to the boat more. There will still be a burial at some point for the ashes, but one of my uncle's thought that would be more towards summer. She will be in Cedar Memorial with her parents. So goodbye Grandma.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment